The Sedona Heritage Museum is located in Jordan Historical Park, 735 Jordan Road, in uptown Sedona, Arizona. Venture through the Museum’s regular exhibits highlighting our Early Settlers, Ranching & Cowboys, the Orchard Industry, movies made in Sedona and Sedona Schnebly, the town’s namesake.
Hours & Rates
Open daily: 11:00 am- 3:00 pm
Closed major holidays
- $10.00 with Audio
- $7.00 Self-Guided
Children (under 13):
- $3.00 with Audio
- Free Self-Guided
Bring your group to our Museum! We offer group rates, including self-guided and docent-led tours. Call 928-282-7038.
The Sedona Heritage Museum, housed in the original Jordan family farmstead, is situated in the City of Sedona’s Jordan Historical Park, a 4.8 acre oasis in Uptown Sedona. In cooperation with the City and the Sedona Historical Society, the establishment of the Museum in 1998 fulfilled Ruth Jordan’s dream of preserving the property as an historic place.
Having a strong interest in community history, Ruth was prompted to sell her home and remaining property to the City of Sedona versus the alternative of converting it to a housing development. In 1991, via a bequest from the Stella Carruth estate, the City was able to purchase the property.
Together, the City and the Society undertook a major rehabilitation and conversion project to convert an aging residential property into a public park and museum. With the later additions of a memorial orchard, bronze sculptures, paths and restrooms meeting ADA requirements, and picnic tables, the park offers enjoyment to Museum visitors, picnickers, neighborhood residents out for a stroll, and even couples looking for a wedding venue.
Today, the park and buildings are maintained by the City and leased to the Society for operation of the Museum. The Museum serves as a venue for several signature annual events, along with regular programs. Check the Museum’s calendar to see what’s coming up.
In 1931, Walter and Ruth Jordan built a one-room cabin with a porch and carport. This served them well, even as their family grew. When Ruth’s mother, Fannie Woolf, thought spending summers in Sedona would be a welcome relief from the heat of her home in Tempe, Arizona, an expansion seemed mandatory. In 1937, she provided some of the funding to add two bedrooms and an indoor bathroom.
After World War II, with materials and manpower once again available and the orchards doing well, the Jordans constructed another addition in 1947. With a full-sized kitchen, electric appliances, hardwood floors, and a new radiator system for heat, it was a dream-come true. The completed house with attached garage, now almost 3000 sq. ft., was faced with beautiful red rock from a local quarry.
In the early days of the orchard operation, the tractor shed was used for packing fruit. Once the new 40’ x 80’ fruit packing shed was built in 1946 to accommodate their growing business, the original shed was used for storage of farm equipment and still houses Mr. Jordan’s tractors.
In the “new” shed, the walls of the building are poured concrete with a red rock exterior facade. The apple grading machine, still on display, enabled them to get the fruit to market much more quickly. This allowed the Jordans to deliver 4-7 tons of fruit to Phoenix several times a week, in addition to supplying the steady local market, with its ever increasing influx of tourists.
The Jordan family’s red rock home, primitive tractor shed, and large fruit packing shed are listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and are also designated as the first three Local Landmarks in the City of Sedona. All three buildings contain exhibits of the history of the greater Sedona area, as well as some of the original Jordan furnishings and personal belongings. Jordan family members continue to volunteer at the Museum, carrying on Ruth’s legacy ensuring preservation of local history.
The tenthouse was added as a Museum exhibit in 2007. It was built by Museum volunteers with the aid of Sedona Charter School students. It is a replica of early pioneer housing that could be easily dismantled and transported to a new location – we like to refer to it as the original ‘mobile home’.
The telegraph office was relocated to the Museum grounds in 2014. It is the last remaining structure from the movie set that was built in Sedona; it was featured in John Wayne’s Angel and the Badman film.
Things To Do
- Explore the historic themes and stories of the people who contributed to Sedona’s rich and unique history.
- Enjoy our offering of a variety of regular history-themed programs and special events throughout the year.
- Partake in the activities specifically geared toward the children in your group.
- Use our research library, open to the public during regular Museum hours, for genealogy or your personal or professional research
- Nicole Dean : Contacts Manager
- Kathie Hamblen : Administrator
- Lisa Hyatt : Assistant Archivist
- Janeen Trevillyan : Historian