Exhibits

Wedding Exhibit runs through Sept. 19, 2016

Here Come the Brides - Weddings Throughout the Decades enjoy this collection of wedding dresses and bridal accessories from 1874 to the 1950s illustrating fashion styles that range from embroidered linen to the sleek, shiny ‘movie star’ look from the 1940s. Featured dresses and veils will include those from several Sedona brides, including Sedona Schnebly’s granddaughter Paula; Anne Jordan Jackson's wedding gown from her 1952 wedding on the front yard of the Museum when it was her family’s home, and her sister Ruthie Jordan Jackson's long veil. A very special dress loaned by pioneer family members is ablack Victorian dress worn by Dorette Titgemeyer when she arrived from Germany to marry Heinrich Schuerman. Their vineyard and winery were the first along Oak Creek in the 1880s at what is now known as Red Rock Crossing.


The Telegraph Office

History

The telegraph office was built about 100 years ago and served as a railroad depot in Winona, AZ. It was moved to Sedona when a movie set was built for the many Westerns filmed here. Almost 100 movies were filmed in Sedona - most during the Golden Age of Western films in the 1940s and '50s.

The telegraph office was featured in the 1947 movie Angel and the Badman, where Gail Russell helps the wounded John Wayne send a telegram.

Now the building is unused and deteriorating outside Sedona. It has been given to Sedona Heritage Museum; we need to relocate it, restore it, and repurpose it as a Museum exhibit showcasing its movie history in Sedona.

The last surviving part of the Sedona West movie town set




Relocation & Restoration of the Telegraph Office

After almost 2 years of hard work, restoration of the Telegraph Office building is nearly complete. Sedona was discovered by Hollywood in 1923 when the first movie was made in Oak Creek Canyon – “Call of the Canyon” a silent film by Zane Grey. When John Wayne was allowed to produce his first film, he chose Sedona as the location of his Angel and the Badman film (1946). In fact, Wayne had an entire movie street set built for this film which then became the set for many other later movies, tv shows and commercials until 1959. This movie set contributed greatly to Sedona’s success as a movie location and reputation as ‘Arizona’s Little Hollywood’.

Per collected anecdotes, it appears the building, now owned by the Museum, was probably built as a railroad building in Winona AZ ca 1890-1910. It is said to have been moved to the Sedona movie set in 1945 for Wayne’s movie, and it appears prominently in the film. After only a few years of use, the building was moved outside of Sedona and with additions was used as a residence until the early 1970s when it was abandoned.

Re-discovered by the Sedona Heritage Museum and gifted to the Museum by property owner, John Marmaduke (Jupiter, FL), it was relocated again, this time to the Museum site where volunteers have restored it to its film history period, including the interiors, and equipped it as an educational exhibit celebrating Sedona movie history.

A HUGE thank you to all of our Supporters!